Advice, Guidance and Training for Religious Education,Collective Worship & SMSC
The Sutton RE Coordinators summer network meeting will be on 21 May 2019 at Cognus from 3.45-5.15pm; to book a place please contact chloe.morris@Sutton.gov.uk
Click on the files above to view the Sutton Syllabus and other useful teaching resources.
To book a place on an RE Course or Network Meeting in Sutton please contact Chloe Morris
If you need help with syllabus planning, RE staff meetings, visits or anything else to do with religious education contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sutton standing advisory Council on Religious education meets termly in various places of worship or in Sutton Council.
Every Local Education Authority (LEA) is required by law to have a SACRE. Its origins go back to the Education Act of 1944, but the Education Reform Act 1988 and the Education Act 1996 strengthened its place in an LEA. The responsibilities of SACRE are:
• to provide advice to the LEA on all aspects of its provision for RE in its schools (this does not include Voluntary Aided Schools)
• to decide whether the LEA's Agreed Syllabus for RE needs to be reviewed and to require the LEA does so.
• to provide advice to the LEA on Collective Worship in its schools (this does not include Voluntary Aided or Voluntary Controlled Schools).
• to consider any requests from Head teachers to hold Collective Worship that is not of a broadly Christian character.
• to advise on matters relating to training for teachers in RE and Collective Worship.
• to publish an annual report of its work.
A SACRE is made up of four committees; A; representatives of Christian denominations and other religions and their denomination
which reflect the principal religious traditions of the borough; B; representatives of the Church of England; C; representatives of the teaching profession and D; representatives from the LEA, including Councillors and RE advisors.